Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Men as Protectors

As I walked around the park today, I watched the Mallard ducks. I noticed pairs of ducks foraging together. The drake stayed close to his hen and kept guard in case anyone would try to harm her. When I came close to one pair, the drake looked up at me to assess me as a potential threat, and then quickly resumed his foraging. The hen, on the other hand, never paused in her search for food. She knew instinctively that she was safe and protected.

Now, there are some women who would find this suffocating, but in the duck world, it's a necessity. In their desire to be independent, some women have rejected men who would be their protectors. As a result, many men have begun to believe that it is bad to feel protective of their partner.

Not to say that independence is a bad thing; single women must provide for and take care of themselves. However, I recommend that when seeking a relationship, you seek interdependence. Too much independence in a relationship can lead to power struggles. If you want to maintain your freedom and independence, you may be better off staying single.

I'd love to hear your opinion on this topic.
We'll talk again soon, Michelle
714-717-5744
True Love after 40

No comments: