Remember "Stop, drop, and roll"? (to put yourself out if you are on fire) Personally, I don't know how well my brain would function if I were on fire. In contrast, my brain functions a lot better if I am having difficulties with a loved one. Some people would disagree with me!
I propose that when in conflict with a loved one, that you "Stop, Think, and Restate." What I mean by this is:
When you want to retaliate with a harsh word, STOP. THINK about the consequences of letting the thought in your head become a verbalization. Before the thought becomes "the spoken word" and therefore, part of your permanent record, so to speak, think about what you'd rather say.
RESTATE what you were about to say in a more constructive way. You could also decide to do what your Mom told you: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything." Maybe practicing silence (judiciously) instead of blurting out whatever comes into your head would be a great change.
However, learn what you CAN say. Silence can turn into the Silent Treatment, and that bodes ill for any relationship. Learn some communication skills. Work with a Relationship Coach to improve your communication skills. Your relationship is worth the time you invest in working on your communication skills!
Michelle
Ask me about Relationship Coaching special rates for 2009! Offer expires December 31, 2008.
Receive free weekly tips and tools for creating the relationship of your dreams when you sign up to receive my newsletter Relationship Success at: http://sanantoniorelationshipcoach.com/index.html
Want to be a Conscious Dater? Check out: http://www.meetup.com/consciousdatingsanantonio-com/
Michelle E. Vásquez, MS, LPCSan Antonio Relationship Coach, Licensed Professional Counselor
I help people attract the life they want and create the relationships that bring them joy.
210-663-94628107 Broadway, Suite 200, San Antonio, TX 78209
http://www.michellevasquez.com/
Sunday, November 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment